Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2013

DIY Pallet Ottoman


I decided to make an over sized ottoman to use for a picture shoot for Valentines Day.  I made it out of a pallet, and I kept the pallet full size so it would fit multiple kiddos with ease.

 I decided to use some memory foam that I had at my house.  It was a bed topper left over from our king size bed that we had no use for anymore.
 After putting the foam on top of the pallet I cut the foam with a electric knife to fit.


I then laid the material down then quilted batting (not pictured) memory foam, then the pallet.  I pulled it tight and stapled it down.  Because I was doing this on a very small budget, I used items that I had around my house, and for the material I purchased a shower curtain.  I wanted a chunkier leg for the ottoman but in order to accomplish the look that I wanted I would have to put 2 legs together for each leg (Which was going to cost me $70.00 just on legs).  So I decided to opt out for the $2.00 legs for now.  


After making the first one, there are some things that I am going to have to modify.  Though I needed it to be large for the purpose of Valentines Day pictures, it is hard to move, and very large for my house.  At the moment it is in the kids playroom for a large window seat/bed for them to lay on.  If I was doing this for a practical piece for my house I would cut some of the pallet down for a more manageable size. I would also spend the money for the chunky legs on it.  I am sure the way I change things as soon as it gets nicer out I will revamp it but cutting it down, making the batting and foam have a more tailored look with the shape.

This project cost me under $20.00 to complete, and for now my kids have a great place to lay to look at books!

No comments:

Post a Comment