Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013

No Cost Headboard

We finally got around to getting Leighton's toddler bed down and getting a twin bed in his room which he LOVES.  But I was wanting a headboard for his bed.  Our budget is so small with me being at home I think calling it a budget is giving it to much credit.  So it challenges me to have to be more creative......which I LOVE.  No honestly I love being frugal and thrifty, I find it kind of exciting.  So we have had this door and I have been wanting to use it to make a headboard for Leightons bed.  Today was the day!  I had Darin bring it downstairs and take the hardware off of it.  After we got it off, we hauled it outside and marked the line where it was going to be cut.  I personally have no fear of power tools I enjoy using them and creating, but Darin offered to cut the door so I let him. Thanks Babe!



As most of you know we can not have a project around our house with out our "Bob the Builder" helping out. So he ran upstairs changed his clothes, grabbed his jacket and his safety glasses and headed out the door to help his Dad. Seems fitting considering this was going to be for his room. Yes there is snow on the ground and he is in shorts, but he was so proud of his clothes he picked out I couldn't seem to get him convinced to change!

After cutting it down I also saved the top that we removed, I am sure that I can find a project for it why waste. The width of the door is not wide enough for a headboard, so we added a 2x4 on each side.  We cut them at the right length then brought them inside.  Darin then drilled 3 pilot holes in each 2x4, thanks again babe!


We then turned the door on its side and mounted it with 4" screws through the pilot holes that were drilled, and sank the screws below the surface so they would not show. 



After both sides were done I needed to get the trim on it, now for the trim I went down into the basement and found scraps from remodeling our house that would work for this.  I cut them at a 45* angle then put another piece of scrap wood across the top to finish it off.



Now all it needed was a little paint and primer!



Here is the finished product, I am so happy with how it turned out!  So now my big boy has a headboard for his big boy bed, and we were able to use things that we already had! I will post more pictures after it gets put in his room.  

1 comment:

  1. I love it! It is way cool ~ and now the doorway to his dreams can be anything his heart desires.....
    This is the Best Years of your Life!

    ReplyDelete